Pages

Friday 5 August 2011

Jane Fonda's interview


She's a 73-year-old movie icon and fitness guru - and she's still in fantastic shape.

But in a new interview in the US edition of Harper's Bazaar, Jane Fonda reveals that she's struggled with bulimia and a low self-image for most of her life and has only just learned to feel good about herself.

She says: "I wasn't very happy from, I would say, puberty to 50. It took me a long time. It was in my 40s, and if you suffer from bulimia, the older you get, the worse it gets. It takes longer to recover from a bout."

This is a woman who has always been concerned about her body image.

"I was raised in the '50s," she explains in an interview with Harper's Bazaar. "I was taught by my father that how I looked was all that mattered, frankly. He was a good man, and I was mad for him, but he sent messages to me that fathers should not send: Unless you look perfect, you're not going to be loved."

She has exercised like crazy, battled bulimia, had plastic surgery. "I'm vain," she says. "My arms are thin, but I'm vain about loose flesh. And so I'm careful that what I wear will show off my best parts, which are my waist and my butt." That said, "I have people in my life who will say, 'Honey, you're trying too hard.' I like being saucy, but I'm 73 and a half. I'm still trying to find my way between matronly and coltishness.

We think Jane looks amazing - but she deserves to after all those years she spent 'going for the burn' in aerobics classes. Just thinking about her '80s exercise video makes us feel tired...

No comments:

Post a Comment